ASI Marine LP, part of ASI International Holdings Inc., offers a variety of hydrographic surveying services on inland and nearshore coastal waters throughout the United States and globally. We pride ourselves on conducting surveys using repeatable methods, which inherently results in delivery of quality survey data that meets client objectives. We are currently looking for an experienced Hydrographer who will support these endeavors. Candidates given the strongest consideration will have a skill set that incorporates experiences with planning, data collection, data post-processing and mapping. The ideal candidate will have more than five years’ experience as a Hydrographic Surveyor, Survey Party Chief, or Survey Technician.
Surveys are accomplished with dedicated survey vessels that are commonly outfitted with RTK GNSS for navigation and positioning system, motion reference unit, single-beam echo sounder, multi-beam echo sounder, side-scan sonar, sub-bottom profiler and ancillary computer hardware/software. If interested in the position of Hydrographer with ASI Marine, please note the following responsibilities and requirements.
General Responsibilities – Hydrographer:
- Lead and work with a team performing hydrographic surveys and other underwater inspections using remote sensing technology.
- Setup and calibration of survey system hardware and software.
- Collect and process hydrographic survey data using HYPACK/HYSWEEP.
- Assist with shop preparations, such as bench-testing equipment, wet-testing equipment, troubleshooting and repairing, equipment cleaning, and loading out for transport.
- Maintenance of all hydrography-related equipment in coordination with the Technical Lead and Operations Management team.
- Assist team with development of project plans and project execution, as required.
- Use AutoCAD or MicroStation to produce maps and charts.
- Develop and follow plans, specifications, and standard operating procedures and promote safe work practices
- Successful completion of post-secondary education program in Engeering, Marine Geomatics, Oceanography, Surveying, or Geodesy OR five years of direct experience in Hydrographic Surveying.
- On-water safety training [i.e., Med A3, Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP), USCG Boating and Seamanship, etc.].
- Proficiency in hydrographic related software (i.e., HYPACK, Sonarwiz, etc).
- Familiarity with hydrographic survey standards published by USACOE, IHO, and CHS.
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD, MicroStation, and 3D Reshaper software used in preparation of project deliverables.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office 365 suite, primarily Word and Excel.
- Experience working on and/or operating a variety of different-sized boats, including trailering and launching, as well as the ability to troubleshoot boat electronics and fuel issues, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with geodesy and tidal datums for geo-referencing hydrographic data.
- Ability to establish and/or verify survey control using satellite positioning and optical survey instruments.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes while conducting fieldwork in all weather conditions.
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software failures.
- Basic knowledge of hand tools for mechanics, electronics, woodworking, and metal-working.
- Basic knowledge of rope knots, lifting, rigging, and hoisting.
- Ability to manage time and work within deadlines, which may require prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision-making abilities.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to write accurate reports.
- Must hold a valid, unrestricted driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
- Must hold a valid passport and be able to travel within North America and internationally, with no restrictions that would impede the ability to travel and/or obtain working visas for foreign countries.
- Must be fully vaccinated (COVID-19) to enter client sites.
This position will be based out of the Orchard Park, NY office; however, national and international projects may be assigned.
ASI has a rich history of technological breakthroughs, having invented, tested, and patented equipment by its team of in-house experts and we have been pioneering innovative solutions for 30 years.
What’s our company secret for success? Our incredible and talented team.
At ASI, we’ve been successful in cultivating excellent staff with incredible experience and expertise and, we are constantly looking for additional talent to join us.
If you are looking for a work environment that encourages growth and development, inventive and creative thinking set in an “open-door” environment, contact us today.
Resumes for the position of Hydrographer can be sent to email@example.com.
ASI International Holdings is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunities, recruitment and selection processes that are inclusive. ASI values diversity and employs professionals who work in a range of disciplines. ASI recognizes that however good our technology and processes are, it is our employees who make us successful. We recruit highly talented people who work as part of multi-discipline teams responsible for meeting and overcoming technical challenges presented to us.
ASI does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, citizenship status or veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.