ASI Group Ltd. operates a variety of dedicated survey vessels that are suited for operations on inland waters such as rivers, lakes, canals, and reservoirs. For survey applications, any of our boats can be outfitted with RTK GPS for navigation and positioning, inertial navigation systems with motion reference, single-beam echo sounder, multi-beam echo sounder, side-scan sonar, sub-bottom profiler and ancillary computer hardware/software. We pride ourselves on our ability to continually pioneer innovative solutions. We are currently looking for an experienced Hydrographer who will support these endeavors.
Candidates given the strongest consideration will have a blend of a marine geophysical skillset and experience with post-processing and mapping software. The ideal candidate will have more than five years’ experience as a Hydrographic Surveyor, Survey Party Chief, or Survey Technician.
- Lead and work with a team performing hydrographic surveys and other underwater inspections using remote sensing technology.
- Setup and calibration of survey system hardware and software.
- Collect and process hydrographic survey data using HYPACK/HYSWEEP.
- Assist with shop preparations, such as bench-testing equipment, wet-testing equipment, troubleshooting and repairing, equipment cleaning, and loading out for transport.
- Maintenance of all hydrography-related equipment in coordination with the Operations Manager.
- Assist team with development of project plans and project execution, as required.
- Use AutoCAD or MicroStation to produce maps and charts.
- Develop and follow plans, specifications, and standard operating procedures and promote safe work practices
- Successful completion of post-secondary education program in Engineering, Marine Geomatics, Oceanography, Surveying, or Geodesy OR five years of direct experience in Hydrographic Surveying.
- On-water safety training [i.e., Med A3, Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP), USCG Boating and Seamanship, etc.].
- Proficiency in hydrographic related software (i.e., HYPACK, Sonarwiz, etc.).
- Familiarity with hydrographic survey standards published by USACOE, IHO, and CHS.
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD, MicroStation, and 3D Reshaper software used in preparation of project deliverables.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office 365 suite, primarily Word and Excel.
- Experience working on and/or operating a variety of different-sized boats, including trailering and launching, as well as the ability to troubleshoot boat electronics and fuel issues, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with geodesy and tidal datums for geo-referencing hydrographic data.
- Ability to establish and/or verify survey control using satellite positioning and optical survey instruments.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes while conducting fieldwork in all weather conditions.
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software failures.
- Basic knowledge of hand tools for mechanics, electronics, wood-working, and metal-working.
- Basic knowledge of rope knots, lifting, rigging, and hoisting.
- Ability to manage time and work within deadlines, which may require prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision-making abilities.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and the ability to write accurate reports.
- Must hold a valid, unrestricted driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
- Must hold a valid passport and be able to travel within North America and internationally, with no restrictions that would impede the ability to travel and/or obtain working visas for foreign countries.
This position will be based out of the Port Coquitlam, BC office.
ASI has a rich history of technological breakthroughs having invented, tested, and patented equipment by its team of in-house experts. We have been pioneering innovative solutions for over 30 years.
What’s our company secret for success? Our incredible and talented team.
At ASI, we’ve been successful in cultivating excellent staff with incredible experience and expertise, and we are constantly looking for additional talent to join us. If you are looking for a work environment that encourages growth, development, and inventive and creative thinking set in an “open-door” environment, contact us today.
Send your resumes to email@example.com.