MARINE TECH-HYDROGRAPHIC SURVEYOR
ASI Group LTD. (ASI), founded in 1987 as Aquatic Sciences Inc., is a full-service engineering and marine technology company comprised of two groups: ASI Marine, which offers a full range of underwater inspection, mapping, and light construction services; and ASI Water, which has extensive experience in design, build, and operation of drinking water and wastewater systems.
ASI operates a variety of dedicated survey vessels that are suited for operations on inland waters such as rivers, lakes, canals, and reservoirs. For survey applications, any of our boats can be outfitted with RTK GPS for navigation and positioning, inertial navigation systems with motion reference, single-beam echo sounder, multi-beam echo sounder, side-scan sonar, sub-bottom profiler and ancillary computer hardware/software.
We pride ourselves on our ability to continually pioneer innovative solutions. We are looking for an experienced Marine Survey Technician/Hydrographic Surveyor who will support these endeavors. Candidates given the strongest consideration will have a blend of a marine geophysical skillset and experience with post processing and mapping software. The ideal candidate will have more than five years’ experience as a Survey Technician, Hydrographic Surveyor or Survey Party Chief.
- Work alongside a team performing underwater inspections with remote sensing technology.
- Assist with hydrographic and marine geophysical survey planning, field data collection, data interpretation, and data processing.
- Set up, operate, and troubleshoot surveying system hardware, computers, software, and cabling.
- Collect and process multi-beam and single-beam echo sounder data using HYPACK/HYSWEEP.
- Use AutoCAD or MicroStation to produce maps and charts.
- Work aboard boats generally 12 feet to 70 feet in length.
- Develop and follow plans, specifications, and standard operating procedures and promote safe work practices.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Strong proficiency with AutoCAD and/or MicroStation and HYPACK/HYSWEEP.
- Knowledge and experience with geodesy, hydrography, survey and tidal datums, with the ability to establish and recover survey control.
- Experience conducting survey level loops.
- Instrumentation experience with some combination of single-beam and multi-beam echosounders, side scan sonar, GPS-integrated inertial navigation systems, and survey-grade GNSS/GPS receivers.
- Experience working and/or operating on a variety of different-sized boats and vessels of opportunity.
- Ability to troubleshoot interfacing, cabling, and software related issues when needed.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes while conducting fieldwork in all weather conditions.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills with the ability to produce accurate reports.
- Outstanding customer service skills and ability to work in a team setting.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
- Must hold a valid passport or be eligible to apply for passport for international travel.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Hydrographer certification and/or license in Land Surveying or Professional Engineering.
- A minimum of an Associate’s degree in Engineering, Marine Geology, Geomatics, Oceanography, or Geodesey with five years’ direct experience in Hydrographic Surveying.
- Experience with 3D Reshaper.
- Instrumentation experience with ADCP, CTD, ROV, AUV, underwater video, and mobile LIDAR.
- Experience with radio-controlled or autonomous vessels considered an asset.
- Ability to obtain foreign work permits.
- Familiarity with USACOE hydrographic survey standards.
This position will be based out of the Orchard Park, NY office.
ASI has a rich history of technological breakthroughs having invented, tested, and patented equipment by its team of in-house experts. We have been pioneering innovative solutions for over 30 years.
What’s our company secret for success? Our incredible and talented team.
At ASI, we’ve been successful in cultivating excellent staff with incredible experience and expertise, and we are constantly looking for additional talent to join us. If you are looking for a work environment that encourages growth, development, and inventive and creative thinking set in an “open-door” environment, contact us today. firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASI Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunities, recruitment and selection processes that are inclusive. ASI Group values diversity and employs professionals who work in a range of disciplines. ASI Group recognizes that however good our technology and processes are, it is our employees who make us successful. We recruit highly talented people who work as part of multi-discipline teams responsible for meeting and overcoming technical challenges presented to us.
ASI Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, citizenship status or veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.