Marine Survey Technician/Hydrographic Surveyor
ASI Group LTD., founded in 1987 as Aquatic Sciences Inc., is a full-service engineering and marine technology company comprised of two groups; ASI Marine which offers a full range of underwater inspection, mapping and light construction services and ASI Water which has extensive experience in design, build and operation of drinking water and wastewater systems.
ASI Group owns and operates a diverse fleet of advanced remotely operated vehicles (ROV’s) that services a wide range of industries. Combined with the latest in video capture and sonar imaging, specialized ROV tooling and inspection techniques, ASI’s ROV Service has earned international reputation for the highest standards of quality.
ASI also operates a variety of dedicated survey vessels that are suited for operations on inland waters such as rivers, lakes, canals, and reservoirs. For small, difficult-to-access sites, or sites that do not permit personnel on the water and a good example of innovation, we developed an un-manned surface vessel (USV) that is remotely operated by radio control. Data transmission between the USV and shore-based personnel is accommodated through a wireless data link. For survey applications, any of our boats can be outfitted with a differential global positioning system (DGPS) or RTK global positioning system (GPS) for navigation and positioning, motion reference unit, single-beam echo sounder, multi-beam echo sounder, and ancillary computer hardware/software.
We pride ourselves on our ability to continually pioneer innovative solutions. We are looking for an experienced Marine Survey Technician/Hydrographic Surveyor who will support these endeavours. Candidates given the strongest consideration will have a blend of a marine geophysical skillset along with experience with post processing and mapping software. The ideal candidate will have more than five years’ experience as a Survey Technician, Survey Party Chief or Hydrographic Surveyor.
- Works alongside a team performing underwater inspections with remote sensing technology
- Assists with hydrographic and marine geophysical survey planning, field data collection, data interpretation and data processing
- Sets up, operates and troubleshoots surveying system hardware, computers, software and cabling
- Collects and processes multi-beam and single-beam echo sounder data using HYPACK/HYSWEEP
- Uses AutoCAD or MicroStation to produce maps and charts
- Works aboard boats generally 12’ to 70 feet in length
- Develops and follows plans, specifications, SOP’s, procedures and promotes safe work practices
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Hydrographer certification and/or License in Land Surveying or Professional Engineering
- A minimum of an Associate’s degree in Engineering, Marine Geology, Geomatics, Oceanography or Geodesey with five years’ direct experience in Hydrographic Surveying
- Strong proficiency with AutoCAD and/or MicroStation, and HYPACK/HYSWEEP, Programming skills and 3D Reshaper beneficial
- Knowledge and experience with geodesy, hydrography, GIS, photogrammetry, charting, cartography, survey and tidal datum’s, with the ability to establish and recover survey control
- Instrumentation experience should include some combination of single-beam and multi-beam echosounders, side scan sonar, GPS-integrated inertial navigation systems, ADCP, CTD, ROV, AUV, underwater video, survey grade GNSS/GPS receivers, robotic total stations and mobile LIDAR
- Experience working and/or operating on small boats and vessels of opportunity
- Experience with radio-controlled or autonomous vessels considered an asset
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with frequent changes and conduct fieldwork in all weather conditions
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills with the ability to produce accurate reports
- Outstanding customer service skills and able to work in a team setting
- Holds a valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record
- Holds a valid passport for international travel
- Flexibility to travel as required and able to obtain foreign work permits
This position will be based out of the Orchard Park, NY office.
ASI has a rich history of technological breakthroughs, having invented, tested, and patented equipment by its team of in-house experts and we have been pioneering innovative solutions for 30 years.
What’s our company secret for success? Our incredible and talented team.
At ASI, we’ve been successful in cultivating excellent staff with incredible experience and expertise and, we are constantly looking for additional talent to join us.
If you are looking for a work environment that encourages growth and development, inventive and creative thinking set in an “open-door” environment, contact us today.
Please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASI Group Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities, recruitment and selection processes that are inclusive. We will strive to accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Please contact the Human Resources Manager at 905-641-0941 if you require accommodations to ensure your accessibility needs are addressed throughout the process. Information received relating to accommodation will be kept confidential.